Europe may almost share a common religion, but culturally they are as diversified as the other parts of the world. Along with their religious places of worship, the buildings and other structures are more unique than typical. Food habits differ to a large extent, and that includes ethnic wear. Such a situation would only warrant exclusive European Road Trip to the entire Europe; and to each region and absorb the beautiful landscapes and cultural heritage.
From the islands of Peloponnese in Greece to the very corners of the Atlantic Ocean, Iceland, only European road trips can justify it. The blog post created based on accounts of many who ventured into the very heart of Europe leaving alone its arteries. Hence, the options should not be misconstrued as a choice between 14 European Road Trips. All these are unique trips, but the best among that route chosen.
Ideal European Road Trip That Will Amaze You
- The Scandinavian Adventure Across Three Countries
- The Amazing Volcanoes, Lakes, and Forest of Sao Miguel Azores
- Tour the Peloponnese and Walk with the Mighty Gods
- Northern Lights, Dancing Auroras, and Santa Claus Himself!
- The Europe Road Trip of Andalucía in Southern Spain and its Wonders
- Wonder – Striking Ireland
- Largest Parliament to Highest Road and Count Dracula!
- Mind-Boggling sights in the Drive along the Dalmatian coast
- Castles and Beaches on the Aberdeenshire Coastal Trail
- Across The Alps to Geneva
- Stunning Cathedrals and La Basilica en-route Northern Spain
- Extravaganza from Cathedrals of Florence to the Creeks of Amalfi Coast
- Mountains and Valley Rivers challenge your Europe Road Trip in Slovenia!
- The fairy tale Trip of Switzerland to the French Riviera to see the real Picasso
The Scandinavian Adventure Across Three Countries
Route – Gothenburg – Oslo – Flam – Bergen – Stavanger – Copenhagen
Gothenburg, the second-largest city in Sweden, has several attractions. Topmost is:
- Liseberg Amusement Park is made up of adrenaline-pumping rides and rollercoasters.
- Slottsskogen the park, which is also a zoo.
- The Southern Archipelago, which is filled with lovely villages and lush green.
- Gothenburg Museum of Art, which is second to none in Northern Europe.
- Universeum filled with marine life and reptiles.
A three hour plus drive would take us to Oslo, the capital of Norway. Here we can tour:
- Akershus Fortress is a great place to discover Oslo’s history and rich heritage.
- Ski Museum in Holmenkollen near the ski jump.
- The Viking Ship Museum with authentic details.
Best Things to do in Flam
Flam is highly popular among tourists, and the few spots you need to visit are :
- Naeroyfjord’s scenic cruise with mountains surrounding you.
- Viking Valley Njardarheimr in Gudvangen, which is a Viking village
- Stegastein viewpoint to enjoy the best of Fjords.
Bergen is our next destination, and it is the second-largest city in Norway A few spots worth visiting are:
- Bryggen Hanseatic Wharf with its museum
- Mount Floyen, which offers a superb view of the town.
- Grieg Museum was home to Edvard Grieg, the composer earlier.
- Bergenhus Fortress you can admire at the Harbor entrance.
Road Day Trip to Stavanger
Stavanger is a city in Norway South of Bergen and has many tourist spots:
- Pulpit Rock ranks one in scenic locations, and it is a huge cliff, and the choice to hike is there.
- The Norwegian Canning Museum which is dedicated to Sardines
- Stavanger Cathedral, a 12th-century Basilica
Copenhagen City Guide
Copenhagen is the last destination we drive to, and the places of interest in this capital city of Denmark are:
- The Tivoli Gardens, which served as an inspiration to the Disney land and has all kinds of rides.
- Christiansburg Palace, which serves as a parliament
- The National Museum of Denmark which brings to life the rich history and culture of the Danes.
The distance covered in nine days is nearly 2200 Kms, and it’s best to plan this European road trip in spring.
The Amazing Volcanoes, Lakes, and Forest of Sao Miguel Azores
Route – Ponta Delgada – Furnas – Ribeira Grande – Sete Cidades
Ponta Delgada is located in Sao Miguel Island and serves as the Azores archipelago capital of Portugal. It houses many attractions, and the primary ones are ;
- Avenida Infante Dom Henrique, which is the Harbour
- The Convent and Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Esperança
- Gruta do Carvão, a site in the Northern part has an ancient lava Tube.
- Museu Carlos Machado-Núcleo de Arte Sacra a Museum which offers more than an insight into the cultural richness of Sao Miguel
Furnas is a civil parish on Sao Miguel’s island and 42 km from Ponta Delgada, where we make our next stop. Here we visit the:
- Visit the VILA FRANCA DO CAMPO and its popular Shrine of Senhora da Paz
- The Furnas Village is famous for its hot springs and the fantastic Terra Nostra gardens.
- Lagoa das Furnas was one of the three prominent craters.
- Cook the Portuguese stew in the Geothermal springs
Ribeira Grande is a seaside city in Sao Miguel and 25 km from Furnas, and we can visit the following places:
- Praia de Santa Bárbara especially for Surfers
- Salto do Cabrito for hikers to climb and find the waterfall
- Caldeira Velha Environmental Interpretation Centre, with lush vegetation
- Frade Natural Pools for an outdoor swimming experience
- Praia Calhau D’Areia a beach in which to relax and participate in water sports
Sete Cidades is yet another Civil Parish center with a volcano at the center and 49 Kms from Ribeira Grande. Here we visit the:
- Lagoa das Empadadas which is a lagoon now but a volcano before
- Lagoa Verde / Lagoa das Sete Cidades, the twin lake inside the crater of a dormant volcano
- Serra Devassa, a circular route now integrated, allows you to hike through the volcanoes.
- Nordeste is covered in forests, river valleys, and mountains. It is thinly populated, but excellent for sightseeing.
You can make a European Road Trip to Sai Miguel any time of the year and complete it in seven days with the distance being covered at 300 Kms.
Tour the Peloponnese and Walk with the Mighty Gods.
Route: Athens – Levidi – Nafplio – Monemvasia- Mystras – Laconia
Once you’re done with Athens, it is time to launch into a Road Trip. This would take you deep into the Peloponnese located in Southern Greece. Peloponnese is considered as the fire runner for introducing Christianity into Greece. You will reach Levidi when traveling from Athens within 2 hours.
From here, you can visit Olympia and indulge in kayaking, rafting along with horse riding, and the Peloponnese countryside. You would be amazed that the first ancient Olympic Games was held here in 776 BC, and the unique archaeology used to view the games was ahead of its times.
Walking to be done in these natural settings is a trekker dream when you are in Nafplio. Castles in ruins and clean beaches lure you, and all these can be visited with time to spare on your European Road Trip.
Short Trip to Nafplio
Nafplio is a medieval township with its castles almost intact. You can opt to stay in the other island town of Monemvasia, which lies en-route to the Peloponnese. The 7 to 10-day trip does not get over till you visit the caves, monasteries, and huge lakes. Mystras, which was the earlier capital of Byzantine, is located in Laconia.
There are many fortresses and churches which exist in almost the same splendor as it did centuries back. Many of the mythological stories that pertain to the Greek Gods pertain to the areas around the Peloponnese, which would inadvertently mean that you are walking among the gods leave alone riding in your car.
The comfort of a three-day gap between the planned itineraries of 7-10 days is mandatory since you may decide to overstay in a few exotic spots, which is only too natural. With fantastic food served by restaurants and inn’s all along the way, a road trip deep into the Peloponnese is more than worth it unless you decide to skip a few spots, and that would act as a spoiler.
This European Road Trip would take anywhere between 7- 10 days. The distance covered would be 600 km. The perfect time to go on the road is between May and October, avoiding August.
Northern Lights, Dancing Auroras, and Santa Claus Himself!
Route – Rovaniemi – Kemi – Saariselka – Inari
There cannot be a better start to a European Road Trip than a halt at Rovaniemi. This is the village from which Santa Claus hails. Treat yourself to a ride on the Santa Claus Express, which runs from Helsinki to Rovaniemi. Now it’s time to visit the most familiar bearded man in History. You can check out the Christmas Cottage and the Post office. After all, that, stand in a queue to meet Santa himself.
Nothing moves without the Reindeers in Lapland. You can visit them on their farms. Drive away from Rovaniemi’s city, stay in a resort made of snow, and get excited about the snow sculptures. Kemi has icebreaker ships to beautiful Churches along with a snow castle. Let’s now head to the Glass villas built on the Baltic Sea shores and catch the Northern Lights.
It’s adventure time in Saariselka and time to view the Dancing Aurora’s. Stay in igloos or go skiing. The last stop is Inari, and you can feed the reindeers and learn everything about Finland and its culture.
The trip would take 7 to 10 days and cover 570 km—the best time to travel in autumn or winter.
The Europe Road Trip of Andalucía in Southern Spain and Its Wonders
Route – Granada – Nerja – Ronda – Pueblos Blancos – Seville – Córdoba
Granada: Three days of Hot attractions:
- Alhambra is regarded as a UNESCO world heritage site. It was built by the Moorish rulers and represented Islamic culture. View the Alcazaba and the Nasrid Palaces, among other parts of this enchanting construction.
- Catedral Santa María de la Encarnación, acknowledged as the best renaissance church in the whole of Spain is a must-see.
- There is no denying that the gypsies had a large presence in Spain, and you view the Gypsy Quarter of Sacromonte. The caves which they resided in are museums now, and you can participate in the Flamenco.
- Experience the Moorish Spa with the Hammam Al Ándalus.
- Brief visits to the La Alcaicería (Spice market), Parque de las Ciencias (Science Park), and the famous Basilica de San Juan de Dios would round up your 3-day tour of Granada and you head west to Nerja.
The Resort Town on the Road NERJA:
- The balcony of Europe: Named as Balcón de Europa, by King Alfonso XII, it would seem so with its iron railings.
- Rio Chillar: Fight the strong currents of the Chillar River or walk around it quietly. You may spot the Ibexes basking in the sun.
- Playa de la Cala el Cañuelo: Park your car, catch a bus and arrive at this cove and swim in the waters.
- Dine and Wine: Exquisite food in the form of Andalusian cuisine is what you get in Nerja.
Visit Ronda, a Mountain Town
Ronda- A lovely village mountain –top.
- Puente Nuevo: Visit the bridge that killed 50 workers while reconstructing.
- La Ciudad is the oldest part of the city and can be entered through Puerta de Almocábar, the fortified gates, and this is again Moorish land.
- Walk across to Plaza de Toros and learn everything about Bullfighting.
- Taste the award-winning wine of Ronda known as Crianza
Seville- Amazing Road Trip in Andalusia
Seville is located in southern Spain with much on offer for tourism: They are:
- Real Alcázar
- Casa de Pilatos
- Plaza de España
- Grazalema and Zahara de la Sierra
- Seville Cathedral
Road Trip seville to Cordoba
Córdoba is a city in Southern Spain.
- Mezquita of Cordoba
- Alcazar de los Reyes Cristianos
- Feria de Los Patios
- Puente Romano
Southern Spain would be ideal for a road trip in spring through autumn. The total distance to be traveled is approximately 535 KMs in 14 days.
Wonder – Striking Ireland
Route – Derry – Donegal – Achill Island – Galway – Tralee – Castlemaine – Killarney
Derry: We kick off the European Road Trip with Derry, a city in Northern Island perched on the banks of River Foyle, and we kick off our Europe Road Trip covering Northern Ireland with it. The star attractions of Derry are:
- Derry Londonderry Walled city with its 17th-century walls.
- The Tower Museum, which bears tales of the Armada
- The Peace Bridge view of the city
- The majestic St. Columb’s Cathedral.
Donegal is our next place of interest and 47 miles from Derry. Here, we have to visit the :
- Gleaveagh National Park, which is Ireland’s second-largest
- View Mount Errigal, which is it’s the tallest peak
- Slieve League a cliff towering above the Atlantic Ocean
- Drive the route called the Wild Atlantic Way
Best Things to Do in Achill Island
Achill Island has located 205 km from Donegal and a four-hour drive. It’s attractions that we have to visit on our Europe Road Trip are:
- Keen Bay the bluish and clean beach filled with tranquility
- The Great Western Greenway and drive through the 42 km trail filled with nature’s beauties
- Minaun mountain from where you can view the landscape of Achill Island.
Visit to Harbour City Galway
Galway is our next stop, which is just above a two-hour drive and 130 km away. Galway is called the Harbour city, and its must-see places are:
- Eyre Square is the best place to start our Galway tour, which consists of artwork that illustrates the eras of Irish History.
- Galway Market, with innumerable stalls that serve food, handicrafts, etc
- Galway Cathedral on the banks of River Corrib and to be viewed in the night
Best Things to Do in County Kerry
Tralee, a town in County Kerry, is 207 km from Galway and would take 2 hours and 30 minutes to reach. Tralee’s latest attractions are :
- Kerry County Museum is where we start, and it’s an award-winning museum.
- Blennerville Windmill is considered the tallest windmill in the whole of Europe.
- Town Park, which is the largest Urban Park in Ireland.
Castlemaine is 83 km from the Town Park and part of County Kerry. The high priority places to visit are:
- Botanical Gardens is the best place to start the tour
- The Mill Castlemaine, where the food is terrific, and art collectors would enjoy.
- Buda Historic Home and Garden, named so, after its owner from Budapest.
Killarney is a short 20-minute drive from Castlemaine and part of County Kerry. Here it would be exciting to visit the:
- Killarney National Park and its winding trails
- Muckross House Gardens, the most attractive Victorian Museum
- Muckross Abbey, the well-preserved 15th-century abbey.
The total distance to be covered is 2500 km, and it would take seven days. Summer would be the right choice to travel to Ireland.
Largest Parliament To Highest Road And Count Dracula
Route – Bucharest- Brasov-Tampa Mountain- Curtea de Argeș- Transfagarasan Highway
The trip would be for five days. Day one is dedicated to Bucharest as we tour the best of it. We drive to the Palace of Parliament, the largest Parliament in the World, and gaze at its splendor. We go away to the ‘one of a kind’ which is called Museum of the Romanian Peasant’.
This exhibits all objects made by the local peasants and gives us a bird’s eye view of the rich culture that Romania enjoyed. Vlad Țepeș is an unavoidable name in Romania as he served as the inspiration to Count Dracula, and we take a sneak peek at his final resting place.
It’s time for lunch, and you are in for a treat with the Romanian dishes. These are unique cuisines. There are numerous castles and chapels, but we need to visit the small ones which are as delightful as the big ones are. The Stavropoulos Church is one such example. It may seem Bucharest does not have any lush greenery from the outset. The fact is that they do exist in pockets. We drive down to Brasov now, which is 186 km away. Our first halt is the Piața Sfatului, Council Square.
The square is arc-shaped, and the beauty is incredible. You need to grab a seat to immerse yourself in its beauty. Not many know the same place was where public executions were carried out in the dark ages.
Point of Interest in Road Trip to Tampa Mountain
Next, you hike or drive to Tampa Mountain. From here we can visit the Black and White towers. Grab your lunch in cafes alongside the cobblestone pathway. After that, continue your tour with a visit to Catherine’s Gate. Drive to Curtea de Argeș from Brasovis for 3 hours, to be precise.
Here you visit the Poenari Citadele of Vlad popularly known as Count Dracula, There are many attractions here in Curtea de Argeș to keep you engaged for a day and a half. That includes Hiking, climbing, safaris, Eco-Tourism, and many more.
Then we drive to the ultimate challenge we embarked upon. It takes under 50 minutes to reach the Transfargarasan Highway. It is also known as DN7C and the second-highest road ever built. The stretch is almost 56 miles, and the highest point is 2042 meters. It’s a challenge to anyone who drives the Zigzag route.
This completes our European Road Trip in Romania, and it takes five days. The distance covered is 600 km and the best time to tour is in the summer.
Mind-Boggling Sights in the Drive along the Dalmatian Coast
Route – Dubrovnik – Split – Trogir – Primostein – Zadar
Our trip starts with Dubrovnik city, Southern Croatia. Dubrovnik has numerous palaces, fortresses, Museums and is already known for tourism. All that changed drastically as the old city walls featured as part of King’s landing in the epic series ‘ Game of Thrones.’
We head to Split, which is 228 km away from Dubrovnik. Split merges into the Dalmatian Coast’s beauty, and there are several historical sites to visit. Such places include:
- Ivan Mestrovic Gallery
- Archeological Museum
- Cathedral of St. Dominos
- Five if the most beautiful beaches
- People’s Square
Just 30kms away, as we proceed on our European Road Trip, we arrive at Trogir. Ever since 380 BC, where it was founded, it was deemed the perfect place to vacation. The top places to visit in Trogir are :
- Trogir Cathedral, which is considered to be the supreme achievement in architecture.
- Medena Beach and more for you to enjoy and relax.
- Kamerlengo Castle, which has super views from the top of the three towers
- Hvar Island and the Blue Cave are a must-visit on a speed boat as it is a group of five islands.
- Coastal Town of Marina from where you can go yachting.
A Day in Primostein
We drive into Primostein away from Trogir which is a laid-back seaside town of which has no tourism lure. But they make-do for this in their unique style. There are eateries and Pubs, Deep sea diving centers, and parties through the nights. It’s worth its while as everything is on offer and cheap. A day in Primosten would go deep into the night of partying and adventure.
We are on our sixth day of the European Road Trip. We drive towards Zadar, our final destination, 112 km from Primosten. A small coastal town which has the most beautiful combination of living. A cosmopolitan way of life combined with artistry traditionally. To appreciate this, you need to visit the following places in Zadar:
- Zadar Cathedral has a blend of many architectural styles. It was constructed and reconstructed over many centuries.
- The Sea Organ of Zadar plays many tunes depending on the waves interacting with the tubes placed below in the sea.
- Kolovare Beach a clean beach for you to relax under the umbrella and have a swim
- Kornati National Park is uninhabited by humans spanning over 147 tiny islands to protect Marine life.
This completes our European Road Trip in Northern Spain, and it’s taken seven days. The distance covered is 350km and the best time to tour is in the autumn summer.
Castles and Beaches on the Aberdeenshire Coastal Trail
Route – Stonehaven – Aberdeen – Royal Deeside – Newburgh – Cruden Bay – Rattray Head
Stonehaven is our starting point on this European Road Trip. It’s 16 km from Aberdeen towards the east. The state attractions of Stonehaven are:
- Dunnottar is considered the most beautiful in Scotland, and it is perched on top of many cliffs.
- War Memorial of Stone Haven lies on the path to Dunnottar castle dedicated to the heroes who died in WW 11.
- Tolbooth Museum is a historical museum now after serving as a court and prison in the 16th century.
Aberdeen- The Port City Attractions
Aberdeen, the port city of the North, has many attractions. They are:
- The Gordon Highlanders Museum highlights Sir Winston Churchill’s army
- The Balmakewan Shop & Cafe serves exquisite delights on festival days
- Alex Scott and Co. Specialist Kiltmakers since 1925.
Royal Deeside lies East of Aberdeenshire and packs a punch when it comes to attractions:
- Balmoral Castle is the Royal retreat of the Royal family in London.
- Bag Lochnagar is a celebrated Munros
- Deeside Railway, which the Royals ride in
Newburgh Beach is hardly 20 minutes from Aberdeen and home of the dunes, and It is also home to seals.
Cruden Beach, a small village but exceptionally equipped with attractions, which are.
- Cruden Bay for swimmers
- Arbuthnot Museum which gives everyone a chance to find Peterhead’s wealth
- Peterhead’s leisure center where you and the children can splash around on the water.
- Rattray Head is the final destination on the coast of Aberdeenshire, and it is a 120-foot lighthouse.
The distance covered in this European Road Trip maybe 200 km in just three days, and you can engage in it any time in the year.
European Road Trip Across The Alps To Geneva
Route – Vienna – Salzburg – Innsbruck – St.Moritz – Zermatt – Geneva
Vienna: We started the European Road Trip with Vienna, the capital of Austria. There are many places one needs to visit here. Most important are:
- The Hofburg, regarded as the most critical palace in all of Vienna, has been the official place of stay since 1275.
- Schonbrunn palace amid a lovely lawn and has 1441 rooms.
- Visit the Gothic Edifice, now. Cathedral church called St. Stephen’s cathedral.
Salzburg is our next destination, which is approximately 300 km from Vienna. Salzburg is famous due to these star attractions there. They are:
- Hohensalzburg Fortress, which is the largest castle in Salzburg, can offer you a bird’s eye view of the entire city from its rooftop.
- Hagenauer Haus in Salzburg is the birthplace of one of its most famous citizens, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, who is now a museum.
- The Mirabell Palace and Gardens is a multi-purpose park where they conduct film shootings at weddings.
Must See Places of Innsbruck
Innsbruck lies 187 km from Salzburg and is our next destination. The must-see places of Innsbruck are :
- Old Town Innsbruck is indeed a marvel of 800 years of History.
- The Nordeste is the mountain near Innsbruck, and you would get a chance on the Hungerburgbahn funicular.
St. Moritz is 150 km from Innsbruck and has many star attractions, and they are :
- Corviglia Snow Park for skiing and Sports.
- Corviglia Funicular with a 2.1 climb
- The Glacier Express is one of the famous railways globally, which crosses 291 bridges to its destination.
Zermatt is a five-hour drive from St. Moritz, and the places to visit are :
- The five lakes walk hike among mountains.
- Highest Ski resort with pistes, sun, and snow.
Geneva is our last destination on this Europe Road trip. It’s famous for many reasons and the home of the Red Cross. The other big attractions are:
- Lake Geneva sets up the best of backdrop views
- Temple de Saint- Pierre, which features Gothic elements
- Jardin Botanique, which features across 12000 species of Fauna.
The distance covered is not less than 1500 km in two weeks. Summer is the perfect time to make this Europe Road Trip with the Alps in the background.
Stunning Cathdrels And La Basilica En Route Northern Spain
Route – Madrid – Avila – Salamanca – Leon – Picos de Europa – Bilbao – San Sebastián – Zarauz
We start our European Road Trip of 18 day days in Northern Spain by starting with Madrid. Prado Museum is our first stop, which is arguably the closest competitor to the Louvre in France. It would take close to two days to finish viewing the Prado. You can do it in a few hours by choosing the most important exhibits too.
From the Prado, we walk to the Church of San Jerónimo el Real which has many paintings from the 17th century. From In-house wonders, we go outdoors as we drive through Madrid’s bustling streets. We drive to the park they refer to as ‘Oasis of peace- Parque del Retiro.
A unique Rose garden, among other attractions in the Park, welcomes you, including a pool. It’s evening now, and we need to view ‘Kilometer Zero’ The Puerto del Sol. The crowds gather in the evening, and the café’s open up to fill your hungry stomach.
Things to Do in Avila
Hardly 110 km away is the city of Avila. To add to its honor, Avila is UNESCO listed for its medieval convents and the Romanesque Churches. They are well preserved, and nine gates provide entrance into the City. Among the ‘ must-see ‘ category is the Puerto de San Vicente and. Puerta del Alcázar, two of the nine gates, and the Ciborro is a cathedral between the two gates.
From here, we visit the Basilica de San Vincente, a church of great importance. Close by the Puerta de la Santa is Santa Teresa’s birthplace and a church to commemorate that. After this point, some Monasteries and castles invite you in, along with the Museum of Avila. It would take two days to finish the trip in Avila, and we would rest in good hotels to energize us for tomorrow.
Back on our vehicle, we head to Salamanca, just 110 km away, where we would visit the Plaza Mayor, Cathedral Nueva, Casa de las Conchas, and some old town historical buildings. The trip would take two days and rightly so.
We take route 66 and reach Leon in less than two hours. We start with the Santa Maria de Leon Cathedral and cover the La Basilica De San Isadora De Leon as the first part of our Itinerary. There is yet another vast range of attractions over here in Leon, which takes two more days to tour.
Picos de Europa Attractions
Our next stop is at Picos de Europa, where we get to hike the rough mountains and view wildlife at its natural magnificence. The lakes are stunning, and the tiny villages are filled with friendly faces.
We spend nearly three days here and drive off to Bilbao early in the evening. We reach just after nightfall treating ourselves to a good dinner and well-deserved sleep. Bilbao is a country popular for its unique cuisine, among other things. We visit the world-famous Guggenheim Museum and explore the Casco Viejo. It takes yet another three days at Bilbao. We have finally exhausted all tourist attractions with the final trip to Gaztelugatxe, a lovely coastline.
Northern Spain Road Trip- San Sebastian
We are on our fourteenth day in our European Road Trip as we drive down to San Sebastian, known for its beach resorts. Apart from visiting five beaches, we visit Monte Urgell and the Miramar Royal Palace.
From here, we head down to Zarautz, located 15 km, West of San Sebastian. In case you are a Game of Thrones freak, you need to drive down the Basque Coast. This was where season 7 was filmed and walked down the same 241 steps which Jon Snow does with the Dragon Mother. You would love to see the Dragon Glass too!
It’s nearly the end of day 17 as we travel down the same roads back to Madrid where we started. It’s approximately 500 km and would take us at least 6 hours to reach Madrid on the eighteenth day.
Extravaganza from Cathedrals of Florence to the Creeks of Amalfi Coast
Route: Florence-Tuscany-Siena-Rome-Amalfi Coast
We start our European road trip to Florence by paying a visit to the Duomo., This is the most celebrated cathedral in the world. We would gaze at the interior and marvel at the exterior. Our next stop is at the Giotto’s Campanile, a magnificent Gothic structure constructed in the 14TH century and is considered the world’s largest dome.
With two of the most significant buildings behind us, we approach the third, the top administrative building in the city. They call it the Palazzo Vecchio. We now drive to Tuscany to live the villa dream. Suppose Florence is famous for its architecture, Tuscany scores in its landscapes, historical values combined with rich cultural heritage.
Luxury Stay in Tuscany Villas
The stay at the Tuscan luxury villas is considered a heavenly experience. We can focus on the best in our European Road Trip. Our drive past breathtaking nature on both sides of the road would lead us to Siena from Tuscan. It lies south of Florence and was once the biggest competitor to main Florence.
There are scores of tourist attractions in Sienna, and with the support of lovely food and hospitality, it’s worth five days. Every tourist attraction has tales to sing. it’s the best opportunity to visit at least a few, if not all. We end up with the Amalfi Coast, which is arguably the best coastlines in the World.
The cliffs, the trips into the sea all await you as we conclude our two-week road trip covering 600 km. Making this trip between May and September is best. The ideal time to tour would be between May and September.
Mountains and Valley Rivers Challenge Your Europe Road Trip in Slovenia!
Route: Slovenia- Ljubljana- Lake Bled- Soca Valley- Hisa Franko – Vrisic Pass- Piran- Vipava Valley
Slovenia is perhaps a country that people have a wrong impression about. With some digging for the right information anybody would realize the facts. it’s a mountainous region and engulfed in everything a tourist would wish for. Our European Road Trip kicks off in Ljubljana, the capital city, and the river by the same name separates the old from the new town.
A day or two is required to tour the capital area filled with museums and medieval castles. If you miss it, it may daunt you for life. Scenic, lengthy, mountain surrounded, and friendly to swimmers is the most accurate description one can bestow on Lake Bled. There are many things to do around the lake.This includes rowing, visiting exquisite castles and churches, etc. Our next destination is Soca Valley, The drive-through Vrsic Pass is a memorable one for sure. You can stay in a Country Inn as they call it.
Dining Destination Hisa Franko
Hisa Franko was one such inn before. Now Is one of the best-known luxury hotels. After the night break in Hisa Franko, we visit the Soca River. This river flows through Slovenia and is 138 kilometers long! You can hike, trek, raft, and enjoy the mystiques of Soca Valley. Enjoy the walk along the banks of the river across the twin towns.
You can stay in Kobarid, and after you’ve finished with Soca Valley.Drive straight to the best of the Slovenian coast called Piran. It’s a seaside town but has plenty to offer in terms of exotic plates of seafood and pleasant weather. Along with that, you would feel the Italian influences as it borders Venice. We are on our last two days of the Slovakian European Road trip as we make our way to Vipava Valley.
Vipava Valley- Wine Region of Solvenia
If your camera has to prove itself and endorse the fact that you are an excellent photographer, Vipava Valley raises those challenges. Its fertile land encompassed vineyards, making it very wine rich. Moreover, there are trails which you can ride with bikes or cars amidst the idyllic rural scenery.
The trees do bloom in autumn, and the color is raised to new levels, which warrant excellent photographic skills. With this, the ten days Europe Road Trip of Slovenia comes to an end. Hidden from this world, Slovenia is the best place to tour and does not represent any form of danger.
The trip is worth ten days, even though the distance covered is just 400 km. The perfect time to tour is in the spring and the onset of summer.
The Fairy Tale European Road Trip of Switzerland to the French Riviera to See the Real Picasso
Route: Colmar – Lucerne – Lake Como – Cinque Terre – Portofino – French Riviera
We start our European Road Trip with Colmar in North-Eastern France. If you had not believed in Fairy tales before, you would now. The streets are laid with Cobblestones, and it’s almost a maze as you walk through the streets. Start by visiting the Place de la Cathedrale, which forms part of the old town.
Gothic Style of Collegiale Saint-Martin Church
Next is the Collegiale Saint-Martin Church, which was raised from the ruins and rebuilt. The Musee under linden is where we go next, followed by the Dominican Church. We travel to Lucerne next in Switzerland, and there are many mountains to climb and view, including Mt. Pilatus. Exploring Lucerne by boat adds excitement, and the Yachts have all modern facilities to make it a happy trip.
There are scores of statues and sculptures that need to be appreciated, including the Lowendenkmal here. We make our way to Italy and head straight to Lake Como. Its upturned shaped ‘ Y’ has an eye-boggling resort and lies in the Alps’ foothills. A visit to a small place with only five towns is next in the itinerary, and that’s why we are in Cinque Terre.
The colorful houses and the vineyards that hang on to the terraces is just one sight. There are more, but it’s time to reach Portofino, where we would be spending two days marveling at the picturesque fishing village. The Wealthy live here on the Northern side, and the contrasting feature that would amaze you is that you wait to be unearthed.
Mediterranean Coast of Southeastern France
After a good two days, we traveled to the French Riviera. We can stop at Monaco, through which we should be reaching the Riviera. Monaco is regarded as the wealthiest country, and more than 30 percent are millionaires in it. A small detour can undoubtedly be made to see those palatial bungalows, and there are so many of them!
We leave the rich behind to their businesses and drive into the Riviera, and accommodation is ready at the St.Paul De Vence. It’s a hilltop village, and the view is impressive. Here you would be visiting distinguished cities, and the culture never compromised. Cannes holds a lot in store, and that includes the World Film festival. Pablo Picasso was the resident here, and we can visit his home.
The trip would take at least ten days to cover the distance of 1185 km. The best season to tour is between spring and autumn.
The best European road trips mentioned above are exhaustive. Book Accommodations have to be booked in certain places. Many Attractions have timings within which the place has to be visited to avoid disappointment. There are eateries in many places, but it’s best to stock water, snacks as you travel. Supermarkets would be the ideal place to purchase and it’s best to buy when you locate one.
There are many choices as far as car rentals go, and the choice of Automatic vs. Manual has to be made. As we are touring rough roads and steep hills, Automatic is a better choice. The extra stock of fuel has to be maintained always to make it a successful European Road Trip.